Operation of MREs
MREs can be utilised through a wide range of technologies, at various stages of development: from the already perfectly operational “installed” wind turbine (wind turbines parks installed in depths of a few tens of metres, to osmotic energy (which utilises latent energy linked to the differences in salinity between fresh and salt water), of which there is only one prototype plant, via energy.
However, regardless of technology, the exploitation of MRE depends on many other parameters related to the ocean itself (available resources, technically and economically exploitable potential, environment and ecosystems) but also to its users (fishermen, navigators) and its residents.
Our areas of expertise
We assist project owners and strategy managers in the maritime and coastal integration of MREs.
Our interventions cover in particular:
- The analysis of resources and potentials: this involves assessing the energy resources of a maritime area and the associated potentials (today, or tomorrow, depending on technological developments) with a view to develop strategies, plans and programmes or identify sites favourable to project development;
- Environmental integration (integration in marine ecosystems, compatibility with environmental policies and regulations, especially European ones), whether at the strategic level (strategic assessment,”EIS”) to analyse the project level (impact assessment) or at the project level to identify;
- Social or societal integration: more important than “acceptability”, it is important to analyse the stakes for each of the existing or future actors and taking them into account in a completely integrated approach;
- Finally, energy integration: MREs must be integrated into an existing energy system, where it is not always easy for them to integrate, for reasons of supply and demand, transport, network, energy carrier.
Some examples of our interventions
- Evaluation of the technical and economic potential of the MREs in a coastal region: assistance to the contracting authority (community) for drawing up the specifications of the consultation, selecting the service providers, monitoring the study, and carrying out the synthesis for the use of decision-makers (fixed and floating wind turbines, heat, current, swell and waves);
- Assistance in drawing up specifications for the management of maritime risks for installed wind farms (maritime safety, explosive devices, etc.) for the benefit of an offshore wind operator (wind and floating wind).
- In-depth analysis of maritime activities in the area of EMR park projects (laying and floating wind, marine power): based on maritime surveillance data, qualitative and quantitative analysis of existing maritime activities with a view to managing risks and potential conflicts;
- Elaboration of strategic scenarios for the development of thermal energy exploitation of the seas (tropical island zone).